Tourism is the third biggest economic sector in Namibia. And thus, the experience of the tourist to Namibia should be an important factor to anyone involved in the industry here.
The just released report on the survey done on tourists leaving the country, has shed light on a number of interesting findings, some good, some bad and some surprising. (Download the full report here: http://www.mcanamibia.org/files/files/exitsurvey.pdf)
Here is a short summary of the highlights of the survey – where we looked particular at the number of holiday/leisure visitors. 39% of the 6 500 respondents interviewed for this survey had been in Namibia particular for holiday/leisure purposes.
*Definition of tourism: A tourism trip is on that takes a traveller to a main destination outside his or her usual environment, for at least one night, but less than a year, for any main purpose (business, leisure, visiting friends and family and other) other than to be employed by a resident entity in the place visited. These travelers are called tourists.
KEY FINDINGS OF THE REPORT
- Holiday tourists were most satisfied with their visit to Namibia, with 85% rating it as “very enjoyable”.
- Overall over two thirds of all tourists (68%) rated their visit as very enjoyable.
- Tourists who rated Namibia the highest were from the USA (93%), Germany (88%) and France.
- The rest can be divided into business )27%), visiting friends and family (25%) and other (9%).
- Average length of stay is 9 nights
- Wildlife was the most significant attractor for holiday tourists when selecting Namibia as their destination
- Most popular activities – shopping (54%), game viewing (29%), nature/landscape (26%) and hiking/trekking (14%)
WHERE DO THEY VISIT
- Windhoek and Swakopmund are the most visited places by tourists in Namibia, in part due to their strategic locations in the country for transportation (airports and roads).
- Etosha National Park is the most visited national park
- Other highlights include Skeleton coast park (5%), Khaudum (1%), Caprivi National Park (7%), Waterberg park (6%) in the category of parks.
- Natrural attractions include Kaokoland (4%), Sossusvlei / Sesriem (18%), Brandberg (5%), Spitzkoppe (7%) and Namib Naukluft (10%)
WHAT DO THEY DO?
- The main activities of holiday makers include game viewing (34%), Nature and landscape touring (25%). Other activities include hiking and trekking (6%), adventure sports (5%), hunting (4%), shopping (4%), 4×4 trails (4%), fishing (3%).
BEST EXPERIENCE – LEISURE TOURISTS
- Wildlife, bird watching, beautiful landscape, weather, nature and Etosha