Explore Damaraland and the rugged surroundsDecember 11, 2019
Explore the northeast, the Kavango and ZambeziDecember 11, 2019
The most spectacular geological phenomenon in Namibia is without a doubt the Fish River Canyon.
The Canyon is the second largest in the world. It was formed over millions of years by the slow erosion of sand and stone by the water that flows in the Fish River. Visit the lookout point on the western side and watch the sunrise. The Orange River is a hub of activity and adventure, with river rafting a popular activity down the rapids. There are other attractions in the south, such as the ghost town of Kolmanskop, just outside the historic town of Lüderitz, which in itself is well worth the visit. Indulge in fresh Lüderitz oysters straight from the Atlantic Ocean off the Namibian coast. Further south, on the border between Namibia and South Africa, Oranjemund is a diamond town that only recently opened to the public. Play a few rounds of golf on a course most frequently visited by grazing springbok and gemsbok, explore the Dabaras Canyon on the road toward Rosh Pinah or the lookout points along the Orange River just outside this quirky little mining town.
- The region is home to one of the most magnificent canyons in the world
- It hosts Namibia’s first transfrontier conservation area – the Ai-Ais/Richtersveld
- A diamond-mining industry of note was established here
- Lüderitz is renowned for its distinctive German colonial architecture
- Namibia’s most famous ghost town is found in the region
ACTIVITIES & ADVENTURES
- Take a step back in time in the deserted mining village of Kolmanskop – be sure to take your camera along!
- Hike the Fish River Canyon or enjoy a more leisurely day visit while staying at a local lodge.
- Sample some fresh home-grown oysters in Lüderitz
- Brave the waves of the Atlantic Ocean in the Lüderitz waters
- Visit the Quiver Tree Forest and Giant’s Playground
- Go on a guided canoe or kayak adventure down the Orange River
Travel News Namibia is a high-quality glossy Namibia travel and lifestyle magazine tasked with promoting Namibia to the world. With riveting stories, first-hand encounters and magnificent photographs showcasing tourism, travel, nature, adventure and conservation, TNN is the ultimate and most comprehensive guide to exploring Namibia. Travel News Namibia is published in five different editions per year. These include four English- language editions and one German. Travel News Namibia is for sale in Namibia and South Africa.