Taste of Namibia – IngredientsFebruary 18, 2013
Opuwo Country HotelFebruary 18, 2013
RULES OF THE COMPETITION – Entries close on Tuesday, 5 March 2013 at 12h00. No late entries will be accepted. (The ingredients)
Win N$23 000
- Entrants must conceptualise a recipe from the list of 23 Team Namibia ingredients – also available to download from www.teamnamibia.com.
- Entrants can pick and choose from the specified 23 ingredients, but it is LIMITED to this list only. The use of any other ingredients will lead to immediate disqualification.
- Only the specified brands from the list can be used, as the challenge is to only use Team Namibia products to ensure the dishes are 100% local. Contestants are not allowed to deviate from the brands nor products specified in this list – any replacements will lead to immediate disqualification.
- Ingredients can be used in any desired amounts. Please use the metric system in recipes, i.e. grams and ml as the units.
- Recipes must be submitted via www.teamnamibia.com, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 061 307 248. Please include your full name, cellphone number, email address (if available) and valid ID number with your entry.
- Recipes must be 100% compiled by the contestants themselves.
It is compulsory for contestants to make themselves available to participate in the:
- semi-finals on Friday, 8th March at 15h00 at the Polytechnic Hotel School and
- cook-off finals on Saturday, 23 March 2013 at Pick n Pay, Windhoek from 09h00 – 12h00.
HOW DOES THE SELECTION PROCESS WORK?
- The Namibian Chefs Association will select 10 recipes for the semi-finals who will be announced on Thursday, 7th March 2013. (If Team Namibia is unable to get hold of the contestants who are shortlisted for the semi-finals on this day, replacement semi-finalists will be selected).
- Semi-finalists will be required to prepare their dishes for judging at the Polytechnic Hotel School on Friday, 8th March at 15h00 where the five finalists will be selected.
- The five finalists will participate in the live cook-off show on Saturday, 23rd March 2013 at Pick n Pay where the winner will be announced.
The following judges from the Namibian Chefs Association have been appointed to judge the Taste of Namibia competition:
- Ralf Herrgott, Chef Lecturer at Hotel School – Polytechnic of Namibia. Ralf is a professional Chef who has trained and qualified in Germany. He spent two years at Wolwedans and has turned the Wolwedans kitchen into what is commonly referred to as one of the most exquisite in the country.
- Twapewa Kadhikua, renowned entrepreneur and owner of Xwama Cultural Village. Twapewa started the Xwama enterprise in 2008, the first cultural spot in Katutura which now employs 24 people from the community.
- Rebecca Hidulika, owner and creator of Fusion Restaurant (offering modern African-inspired cuisine) has extensive experience in the hospitality industry. Rebekka grew up in northern Namibia where she drew her inspiration for food and traditional African meals.
The following Namibian food celebrities will be our compères at the cook-off finals on 23 March 2013:
- Fortune Kangueehi, an advertising account manager at Advantage Y&R by day and passionate cook by night! She was one of 18 contestants (and the only Namibian) in the South African MasterChef 2012 competition.
- Tom Mutavdzic will be the co-host at the finals. Tom is the former president of the Namibian Chefs Association. He has been in the hospitality industry since 1972, where he started at the Boulevard Hotel in Pretoria. He furthered his experience in Switzerland in 1976 and returned to Namibia in 1981.