Searing heat and clear skies – January rainfall in Namibia disappointsFebruary 1, 2013
What’s News Namibia: Autum 2012February 8, 2013
That is the number one thought on most Namibian’s minds.
The lack of water from the sky, mixed in with an expecially feverish heat wave that no summer breeze can nudge to more exceptable levels, has not only led to water restrictions in Namibia, but some worse for wear Namibians trying to keep up a semblance of normalcy in a not so normal sizzling (we can’t resist) summer.
Right now, every Namibian would gladly go down on their knees and endure an uncomfortable few minutes / hours / we bet even days, on rough, dry, pebbly and hot sand if this would guarantee a drenching rain shower.
The anticipation for the incessant heat wave to disperse has reached boiling point. It has withered moods as well as vegetation to crispness across the country fore the past month. How long can this go on?
Well, according to those keeping an eagle’s eye on the heat, it’s waves and the lack of cloud cover, there is a chance that a rain event could be slowly shifting into gear. As in right now at this moment. Hooray.
Since last week, reports have made their way across the overheated air waves and it seems, that there is a trickling of good news on the radar:
These are the highlights from today’s outlook by Namibian weather forecaster Olga Tjiueza:
- Yes. Those living in the North-Eastern, central and eastern parts of the country are very likely to see a splatter of raindrops from today onwards.
- Olga warned however that this does not necessarily mean cloud-bursts. At this point, anything would be good we say.
- A few more showers can be expected to continue falling until Thursday in these areas.
- From Thursday onwards, the north-central and north-western parts of the country could expect some liquid relief.
- That band of rain is likely to spread to the south – where temperatures have abutted 45 degrees and more during patches in January – by Saturday or Sunday.
COMMENT ON THE RAIN RIGHT HERE ON OUR WEBSITE
Let us know if January was the hottest month in memory for you. And what you would do for some rain.