Taste of Namibia – Rules & JudgesFebruary 18, 2013
The silver lining of a rhino poaching event in NamibiaFebruary 19, 2013
Opuwo means “finished” or “up to here and no further”.
The administrative hub of the Kunene Region, Opuwo lies in the centre of the awe-inspiring Kaokoland, where rugged mountains, intricate roads and a nomadic tribe have made their footprints.
This is also home to Namibia’s last nomadic tribe, the Ovahimba.
Their unique lifestyle and adaptability to survive the harsh Kaokoland environment has earned them their ethnic individuality.
The traditional Himba still prefer living the way their forebears did hundreds of years ago, but a delicate peace has been established with the western lifestyles in their midst.
Many of the Himba have accepted, and even welcome, visitors who come to catch a glimpse of their unique lives.
Here the Opuwo Country Hotel plays a critical role. We support the villages by conducting pre-arranged visits where visitors who wish to meet the Himbas, are openly welcomed.
These visits don’t only generate a form of income but also motivate the younger generation of Himbas to preserve their vanishing culture. Our Himba guides escorts guests on a tour and translates any comments or questions the Himbas and visitors might have for each other.
The Opuwo Country Hotel is situated on a hilltop facing northwest with breath-taking views overlooking a valley with magnificent sunsets and 360° view of the surrounding area.
The lodge is within easy reach of Otavi, Epupa Falls and Swartbooisdrift.
The town of Opuwo has a few shops, filling station, school and houses. The airfield in town is managed by Opuwo Country Hotel and offers refueling and a transfer services to and from the Hotel.
The 21 luxury twins rooms, 1 luxury double room, 3 sets of twin inter leading rooms (6 rooms) and 12 standard twin rooms are all fitted with air conditioners and have en-suite bathrooms.
Cool off in the pool after a hard day’s drive. The Bar and Restaurant are located next to the pool area where guests can crack a cold one and enjoy mouth-watering meals. A private lounge and wine cellar on top of the loft offers a relaxed atmosphere and place to enjoy an evening with friends.
Special prior arrangements can be made for honeymooners, anniversaries and birthdays, as well as private dinners, snack baskets and cakes. The Lodge has 24hours electricity (220v), credit card facilities (Master and Visa as well as most European Cards)
Children of all ages are welcome but must be under parents supervision at all times.
- Himba Excursion: 3 hour guided excursion to traditional Ovahimba villages to experience their culture and traditions.
- Uukwaluudhi Safari Camp is situated +/- 80km east of Opuwo.
- Hotel guests are welcome to participate on a game drive or explore the reserve on a mountain bike. The reserve boasts a large range of antelope species, giraffe, zebra and a small population of black rhino but, no predators.
- Full day – Epupa Falls Excursion: The drive will take about 3 hours to Chief Kapika’s Village, lunch packs are provided and included in the price. You will enjoy picnic lunch on the banks of the Kunene River, back at the lodge before sunset.
- Guided excursion for fly-in Charters: You will be collected at Opuwo airstrip at +/- 11h00, then taken to the hotel for a welcome drink. Visit to a Himba village and depending on time of arrival we can serve lunch before or after the excursion. Back to the airport at +/- 14h30 for your return flight.
Camping at Opuwo Country Lodge
Situated on a hill just outside Opuwo are our campsites that offer great views of Opuwo and the surrounding area, and photographic opportunities of magnificent sunsets and sunrises.
Opuwo Country lodge offers 12 large camping sites about 400 – 500 meters from the Lodge.
All the camping sites have 220v electricity (24 hours), ablution facilities with hot and cold water, barbeque area and wash up facilities.
Apart from dining at our Restaurant or spending lazy afternoons at our swimming pools at the hotel, other activities include game viewing at the nearby Uukwaluudhi Reserve, driving 4×4 trials such as the well know Van Zyls Pass or Swartbooisdrift route. For bird watchers, there is ample bird life to keep you busy.
- Swimming pool – Hotel
- Bar / Pub – Hotel
- Restaurant – Hotel
- Curio Shop – Hotel
- Provisions and feul – In Opuwo Town
- We accept Credit / Debit Cards
- Tel: ++264 65 273 461
- Cell: ++264 (0)81 230 4479
- Fax: ++264 65 237 051
Marketing Company: Cell: 0811 222 626
Frans du Raan: email@example.com
- Windhoek Office: Tel: +264 61 228 104 /
- Fax to e-mail: +264 886546675; Cell: 0811 222 626
- Po Box 91045 Klein Windhoek Namibia
All photos courtesy of Journeys Namibia.
See more Journeys Namibia accommodation on Travel News Namibia: